Hello everyone,

We're running Packetfence version 9.3.0. I'm having troubles with creating user
objects from the admin GUI. But let's have a look at our setup.

I've setup the configuration for the following use case:
One single in-house WIFI (general purpose) with two sorts of users and two
sorts of devices.
User types
- staff: Registers its device via captive portal
- guests: Registers its device via captive portal

Device types
- Devices supporting browsers/captive portals: both staff and guests own such
devices
- Devices which don't -> we will call them iot (eg an internet radio or
camera): We will only register such devices if they're owned by our staff.

Captive Portal: All Users of our WIFI must accept the AUP and then enter their
phone number for sms auth. The registered device will be assigned the custom
role "guest" with access duration 1y.
Because there are devices without browser support our help desk has to register
those devices manually and assign them the role "guest-iot" with access
duration of 3y. I know there exists a Self Service Portal, however most of our
customers won't be able to use it. So there is no need to discuss this feature.

What I had in mind:
There is a local help desk account which is able to manually create users and
nodes. I wanted to try adding a user by myself (with the admin account) via
Users -> Create, however the user creation form in the admin GUI has too much
mandatory fields and I couldn't figure out where to change this. If a user
registers himself via captive portal, the user object contains only his
Username/PID (which is the telephone number) and the telephone number field.
This is what I'm trying to achieve manually.

Problem 1): I'm not able to edit existing users since they only contain the two
fields UID and tel. But when viewing the user item, the form tells me that
"Email" is a mandatory field. However, we don't need to gather our users email
addresses if they register themselves  via captive portal. So I can't save the
object if I don't enter an email address.

Problem 2): When creating a new user via Users -> Create the following fields
are mandatory:
- PID: this is correct as we will enter the user's phone number
- Password: If a user registers himself via captive portal he doesn't set any
pw since it is not needed. Therefore if we need to create a user manually we
don't want to set a pw.
(- strangely the email field isn't mandatory in this mask…)
- Registration Window: Why do I have to set "start date" and "end date" here?
We don't assign any user object an access time. This is controlled via a custom
role specifying an access time which is assigned to the device.
- Actions: I figured out that I can just click the "-" to disable this field
which in turn won't be mandatory anymore.

Problem 3): How do I have to create the help desk account? Can I assign them
permissions to control which operations it can perform?

Problem 4): Does someone have a link to an explanation of "sponsor"? I didn't
really understand this concept. Is it relevant to our use case "help desk
account manually creating user accounts and devices"?

The Node creation form looks fine from our point of view.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
Amin