Hello Louis,

my answer bellow.

Le 20-06-04 à 21 h 53, Louis Scaringella via PacketFence-users a écrit :
Hello,

Thank you for your time in helping.

I am working with a client and the goal is to build upon the current 802.1X
PEAP environment they have with Windows NPS and expand this to use PacketFence
and to limit BYOD by using MAC address authentication in conjunction with
802.1X PEAP.

Ideally, I would like to use PacketFence to maintain this MAC address database
and authenticate against Active Directory for user auth. The 802.1X PEAP side
of things works well and I have had success multiple times in deploying this
with Active Directory as the authenticate source just fine. MAC auth is the
portion i’m struggling with getting to work properly.

The MAC addresses would be populated manually and imported into PacketFence by
my client’s IT team.

Ideally, what the flow of authentication would be is to have the user attempt
to connect to the wireless network. Their Aruba controller would be setup to
handle both MAC auth and 802.1X and pass that to PacketFence via Radius.
PacketFence would then check it’s database for the MAC address and if found
move to 802.1X user auth. If the user authenticates to Active Directory
successfully, the connection is allowed.

No, i don't think this is the correct approach.

What you can do is simple, if the IT team import the mac then it mean that the list of mac they import become "registered".

So what you can do, is to create a connection profile with:

Autoregister disabled

Recompute from portal enabled

Then create a vlan filter like this:

node.status =unreg

scope=RegistrationRole

role = REJECT

So it mean that even if your 802.1x authentication succeed if your device is not register in packetfence then reject the authentication.

I don’t want to use any concept of registered vs unregistered devices and don’t
want self registration or captive portal of any kind. I just simply want to
make sure the MAC address of the supplicant is a member of PacketFence’s
database.

You will need the concept of registered vs unregistered but the IT team decide who is reg vs unreg.

I already have set this up and what is happening is 802.1X is working fine and
the user is authenticating, but it isn’t limiting the connection by MAC
address. In other words, devices which are not in the database are allowed to
connect if they provide valid user credentials. I can’t seem to restrict new
“BYOD” devices.

Do any of you have experience or some insight that would help here?

Louis Scaringella
Security Systems Engineer
Yellow Dog Networks, Inc
785-342-7903

The information transmitted, including any attachments, is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited, and all liability
arising therefrom is disclaimed. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.