Hi,

Wolfgang Bauer schrieb am 30.05.2018 16:06:

> Am Dienstag, 29. Mai 2018, 10:27:54 schrieb Timo Sigurdsson:
>> I installed openSUSE Leap 15 this weekend and added the packman essentials
>> repository. I installed VLC Media Player from packman and while vlc works
>> fine, there are no shortcuts created in the application launcher.
>
> The application launcher entry is shipped in Packman's vlc package (of
> course)
> though.
>
> Did you install the package "vlc" as well?
Yes. The version is 3.0.2-lp150.3.1.

> Does the file /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop exist?
Yes, it does.

> Maybe try to run "kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental" to force a refresh of KF5's
> .desktop file cache, althouh that should happen automatically whenever a
> change to /usr/share/applications/ is detected.
Thank you. That did the trick!

>> If I install vlc from the official openSUSE repositories, it is
>> registered correctly, just not with the package from packman.
>
> Actually the packages are exactly the same (except for additional codecs on
> Packman).
I just did two fresh installs to test and compare this again. My installation
routine is: Install the KDE Plasma 5 Desktop target with a few multimedia
packages deselected - namely dragonplayer, dvd+rw-tools and k3b. I use a custom
partitioning scheme (my partitions are ext4 instead of btrfs/xfs). After the
installation (from the full installer ISO), I first updated all packages, then
added the Packman Essentials repository, switched system libraries to Packman
and installed vlc and vlc-codecs from the Packman repo. Then I looked for VLC
in the application launcher, but it's not there. So, I rebooted the system, but
after the reboot, VLC still does not show up in the application menu.

During the second try, I proceeded exactly the same during the installation.
But after the installation I merely updated the packages and then installed vlc
from the official repositories. Right after the installation, vlc does not show
up in the application menu either. But after the reboot, it shows up.

Is it possible that the refreshing of the .desktop file cache does not fire
reliably during/after the installation? Or is this just done periodically?

Thanks and regards,

Timo