Moin,

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019, 15:17:34 +0200, pack...@howorth.org.uk wrote:
> I just looked and noticed that I have three versions of all (AFAICT) of
> the libav* packages. e.g:
>
> libavformat56
> libavformat57
> libavformat58
>
> Most of them have numbers 56,57,58 in the name. Some have 2,3,4 or 5,6,7
>
> Do I need or benefit in some way from having all three? Or should I
> just have the latest version (4.0.2.lp150...)?
>
> If this is all documented somewhere, I apologize for not finding it.

you can figure out this yourself:

  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat56)
  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat57)
  rpm -e --test $(locate libavformat58)

Every command will moan about a package still requiring the libavformat
to be removed. Only if no other package requires it, i.e. the output
from the related command is empty, you can remove the package (i.e.
remove the "--test" from the command line).

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred