I hate to ask this since so much has already been posted about fields,
but....

I can't seem to be able to get the text from a field and copy it into a
string.  Setting the text to the field is no problem.

the code is

static void GetFieldText(UInt32 FieldID, char *Text)
{
 FieldPtr FieldP;
 Handle FieldHand;
 CharPtr TextP;

 FieldP = (FieldPtr)GetObjectPtr(FieldID);
 FieldHand = FldGetTextHandle(FieldP);
 TextP = MemHandleLock(FieldHand);
 StrCopy(Text,TextP);
}

I also tried

{
    TextP = FldGetTextPtr(FieldP);
    StrCopy(Text,TextP);
}

This function is called when hitting a "Save" button in which I want to save
the field text in the preferencetype struct.

When run in the emulator, I get a "bus error" and on the actual device I get
a fatal exception.

Am I missing something here?

thanks for the help

Jim