Could this be a variation on the old limit on # of files in the root directory we used to encounter in MS-DOS daze?
dga

Shorin wrote:
I've had something like that happen to a 512MB card in a Tungsten T. I forget how it happened. There werent many files in the particular directory. I ended up reformatting the card.