On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:52:11AM -0700, Stuart Nicholson wrote:
> For starters don't trust the Metrowerks Codewarrior debugger!
>
> If you have *any* optimisation turned on and debug code, the debugger
> will do stupid things (it will appear to skip code and not set variables
> correctly etc). However it's just because the debugger is broken. I find
> that actual code usually executes correctly - it just *looks* like it's
> broken.
>
> Are you sure the problem you're seeing is not just a debugger artifact?

To clarify what he is saying, one of the things optimizers often do is
to rearrange code, so you might execute line 20 before line 2.
Multiple variables might be folded into single registers, so you won't
see them change or be set.

You can verify this by disassembling the code - if it isn't executing
the lines, there won't be code for it (regardless of order).