"Ben Combee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> At 09:30 AM 7/2/2003, Arrow wrote:
> >i read the drawback of using streaming file is that i cannot
> >backup the pdb to PC, is this correct ?
>
> File streams are not backed up by the backup conduit, but you can manually
> back them up in your conduit.

Actually, if you set the backup bit on your streamed file, the backup
conduit will happily back them up like any other database.

It's safest to set the backup bit once the file has been closed:

   // get the dbID so we can set backup bit after file is closed
   dbID = DmFindDatabase( cardNo, nameStr );

    // set backup bit on streamed file after it is closed
    if (dbID)
    {
     DmDatabaseInfo( cardNo, dbID, NULL, &attributes, NULL, NULL,
        NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL );
     attributes |= dmHdrAttrBackup;
     DmSetDatabaseInfo( cardNo, dbID, NULL, &attributes, NULL, NULL,
        NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL );
    }

David Thacker