There is a wealth of information on the bitmap formats on the developer
web site at http://www.palmsource.com/developers/.  You will need an
account, but you can get that for free.  Depending on which set of tools
you are using, you can just leave everything in Windows BMP format,
unless you are manipulating graphics in your app.

If you are going to create your app(s) for multiple depths, you need
bitmaps at 72, 108, and 144 dpi.

-E