One thing I don't understant... POSE reports memory leaks after your application has terminated (before going back to the launcher). Are you saying you get the memory leak message -during- your application execution?

Jerome

Jeff Ondich wrote:
Thanks, Jerome. I always assume these things are my own fault, but this one has me confused. It's claiming I have a memory leak before the objects in question even go out of scope, right in the middle of allocating some other object. It may be that I'm clobbering a pointer and POSE is smart enough to notice that, but if I am, it's in a place where none of my other environments have noticed a problem.

I'm using CodeWarrior.  I'll check into Palm Reporter and see if it helps.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jerome Chapdelaine wrote:

Hello Jeff,
I don't know how many small blocks of memory you are talking about, but I've worked on applications with tons of small new/delete, arrays of objects containing dynamically allocated stuff, etc... and never got into any kind of limits. Each and every time I got a memory leaked reported by POSE it was my fault! ;-) I've used the Palm Reporter to track ctor/dstor calls and it was very helpful on some very difficults cases.

Which compiler are you using? CW, PRC-Tools/PODS, other?

Jerome

Jeff Ondich wrote:

Hi,

I have a program that is running fine on Palm OS 5, with successful
tests on a Tungsten T, a Treo 650, the simulator, etc.  On POSE
configured as a Palm V with OS 4.1.2, however, the emulator is
reporting what it calls memory leaks.  The particular blocks of
memory that are being called leaks are not, in fact, leaking in the
usual sense--that is, there are deletes for every new.  The code in
question passes through other memory leak testers (e.g. Visual C++)
without problem.

My guess is that there are limits of some kind as to the number of
active memory allocations you can have on OS 4, and that I'm
exceeding them.  It's true that my code, intended to be
cross-platform C++, allocates quite a lot of small blocks of memory
using the C++ new rather than using Palm handles.

I'm having trouble finding any information about heap limitations on
Palm OS 4, and I'm finding the memory leak dumps provided by the
emulator to be of limited value.  Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff Ondich