Did you ever figure out a way to use fonts from a .pdb without impacting heap?
I am doing the same thing (custom fonts stored in a .pdb) and I just now
tracked down a bug where my program crashes - it is because of too many fonts
being defined, and they take up all the heap space.

I had no idea that FntDefineFont would make a copy of the font data I gave it -
especially since my .pdb with font resources is already in heap space.

I'd appreciate hearing about any solutions you came across.