Here's what I use:

Boolean HelperDeviceHasNVFS()
{
    Boolean bRet = false;

#ifdef sysFtrNumDmAutoBackup
    UInt32 iVal;

    if (FtrGet(sysFtrCreator, sysFtrNumDmAutoBackup, &iVal)==errNone)
    {
        if (iVal==1)
        {
            bRet = true;
        }
    }
#else//sysFtrNumDmAutoBackup
#warning sysFtrNumDmAutoBackup was not defined - NVFS Autodetection is not
enabled.  Upgrade to the latest Palm SDK to fix this.
#endif//sysFtrNumDmAutoBackup
    return bRet;
}