On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:53:13 +0100
Rodolphe Rocca <maitrech...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't there be a way to implement something more simple for
> handling this package move and replacement cases ?

Doing this properly requires information from the ebuild: ebuilds would
have to annotate their blockers with an explanation of what's going on.
We can't tell from a blocker whether it's a move, replacement,
collision, incompatibility or something weirder. Gentoo isn't prepared
to add that kind of information, because Portage can't make use of it.

We don't take Portage's approach of just uninstalling blocked stuff
regardless, because we don't consider randomly uninstalling bash to be
a good idea. Unlike Portage, we also produce a consistent resolution,
so you're much more likely to notice when there's a problem that needs
to be fixed.

--
Ciaran McCreesh