On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:03:32 -0500
Taahir Ahmed <ahme...@tamu.edu> wrote:
> I have recently switched my Gentoo system to using paludis/cave, and
> I have run into two similar problems.
>
> The first is that I cannot uninstall any currently-installed version
> of sys- kernel/gentoo-sources without also allowing (via
> --uninstalls-may-break or -- remove-if-dependent) cave to take
> virtual/linux-sources (and along with that, nearly half the system).

That's down to how ebuilds are specifying dependencies: if they don't
explicitly give a slot, or a :* specifier, then we don't know which
slots are affected. Rather than risk breakage, we err on the side of
caution, and assume that all slots are required unless ebuilds
explicitly say otherwise.

--
Ciaran McCreesh