* Ciaran McCreesh [2013-08-14 23:47]:
> > perl-core/i18n-langtags-0.35 is already installed... so why aren't
> > virtual/perl-i18n-langtags's dependencies satisfied?
>
> A || dependency doesn't mean "or". It means "prefer the first one that
> isn't masked".

Thanks, I masked older versions of perl and it installed correctly!

I remember reading something about || dependencies preferring the first
one, but I was missing the "masked" part and I thought installing one of
the dependencies by hand would be enough to satisfy it. The ebuild(5)
manpage says:

 || ( Atom Atom ... )
     When a package can work with a few different packages but
     a virtual is not appropriate, this syntax can easily be
     used.
[...]
     Note that if any of the packages listed are already
     merged, the package manager will use that to consider the
     dependency satisfied.