On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 13:51:30 +0100

> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to install =dev-python/pycrypto-2.6-r2 for python3.3, but
> > for some reason the relevant USE flag is (-masked). I haven't found
> > it masked anywhere in the profile (default/linux/amd64/13.0). Where
> > else could it be? It can't be global since I have many 3.3 packages
> > built and in use, e.g. =dev-python/numpy-1.7.1.
>
> Somewhere in profiles. You're best searching every file under profiles
> for all mentions of either pycrypto or python_targets_python_3_3.

I did, but looks like I overlooked something - the flag is *masked* by
eapi-5-files/use.stable.mask. However, both the ebuilds are EAPI 5.
The mask should apply to both, but it doesn't. There isn't an exception
defined for numpy in profiles either (there are hits in ChangeLogs, use-
descs and two package.masks in foreign architectures and prefixes).

When I disable the mask (by directly editing eapi-5-files/use.stable.mask),
the python3_3 flag for pycrypto becomes available, everything compiles
fine and the module installs and works.

After the (global) unmask, many more packages including portage, KDE
packages and for example x11-proto/xcb-proto can now build with 3.3 support.

So something is unmasking python_targets_python3_3 for packages including
numpy, cython, python-exec or sqlalchemy and not for others
like pykde4, pillow
or speech-dispatcher.