Hi all,

As Forte Agent, the newsreader I've used for almost 20 years, is now definitely abandonware, and is encountering increasing problems as time passes, I'm trying to find an alternative, and was recommended to try Pan.

I run 64-bit Linux Mint 20.3 (LTS version) with an XFCE desktop. When I install Pan from the Mint/Ubuntu repositories, it appears to install successfully, but running from the desktop results in a immediate crash with no input.

So, I tried running from a terminal. This also crashed immediately, unsurprisingly, but it did get me the following output

<paste>

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files

(pan:172437): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:23:51.653: Unable to parse accelerator '<constrol>O' for action 'import-tasks'
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::logic_error'
  what():  basic_string::_M_construct null not valid
Aborted (core dumped)

</paste>

I tried the version from Github, but there are just too many version mismatches when building the program for me to cope with.

Can anybody suggest a way of fixing the above problem. I don't use NZB files, I'm just trying to read some plain old text newsgroups.

Thanks,

Brian.