By deleting most of /home/user/.pan2 except newsserver configuration, I regained my header columns (would I only need to delete some configuration to do this?) but now pan is always crashing fast again.  I suspect it's something to do with my usage load--almost 1,500 newsgroups--because this didn't start happening until I approached maybe 500 or 1,000 newsgroups, but then always happened.  Whenever I ran pan enough times to re-download all the headers, it stopped crashing, but then eventually I lost header columns with no bar to get them back.  Is pan really designed to use this many newsgroups or do I need to increase the cache size or do other configuration?  I'll try to compile it with debugging symbols but may temporarily be using a different GNU/Linux operating system which has newer graphics drivers than what I have, so I don't know when I'll get to compiling pan...