dchmelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2023 18:25:29 -0700
as excerpted:

> Pan got upgrade to 0.154 on my OS (Slackware64 15+current GNU/Linux) but
> once again I'm only seeing the last header of subject, author, date,
> bytes.  Someone said the first three disappeared because of a 'race
> condition' but I even turned off 'work online', quit, restarted, and it
> still happened.  How do I get those back?  It's unusable otherwise.

I see you got them back, but to explain that "race condition"...

Yes, it is a race condition, but work offline won't help, because it occurs
during GUI setup and has nothing to do with the networking.

The problem has to do with gtk icon-caching.  When they're cached, as they
are in most cases, no problem.  But when a gtk-related update invalidates
that cache, the icons aren't fetched correctly the first time (it's not
waiting for the cache update), so the returned width is zero.  That causes
the column-width calculations to go screwy.  The result is that anything
beyond the first icon column (the state and action columns, one of which
IIRC is the first column by default so it's all of them) gets zeroed out,
which in turn results in the /last/ column taking up the entire space, with
everything else squeezed into zero-width columns at the far left.

Then those zero-width column sizes get saved so restarting doesn't help.

The (until next time) user-level fix is to either one-at-a-time drag all
those stacked zero-width dividers at the far left back to plausible values,
which works but is fiddly and having to do it over again at the next icon-
cache invalidation (I've not figured out which package updates the icons
thus invalidating the cache, but it has to be one or more of the gtk-
related packages) gets old fast, OR, (manually or automatically) text-edit
the preferences.xml file to reset non-zero widths.

But editing the prefs file manually gets old after a couple times too, so
as implied by the parenthetical above, I've automated the process here,
with a pan startup script that resets them (applying patch files to do so)
if it finds them set to zero.  So here, when that happens I can immediately
close and restart pan and the startup script will reset them.

IOW it's not directly a pan bug, but rather gtk related.  Perhaps pan could
work around it, tho, if someone knowing gtk well enough got hit enough
times by the bug to trigger them to investigate further.  Unfortunately I'm
not a dev, just an admin (of my own systems) that reads enough dev-speak to
have debugged it far enough to have scripted my own mostly-automated
workaround.

The things we'll do to work around computer bugs in our favorite programs!
=:^\