On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 06:04:21 -0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:

> dchmelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2024 19:44:16 -0800
> as excerpted:
>
>> Lately I could no longer get message headers (on
>> news.eternal-september.org (ES) nor news.gmane.io) (and preferences.xml
>> maybe got corrupted again (seems to happen regularly) this time in my
>> ES password) but could after I restart, but still can't get message
>> bodies even if I select 'read this article'.  The only change I made
>> lately was increase article cache to 1Gb.
>
> If you click on the log (button on the status bar, bottom right, or use
> the menu option), what does it say about the attempts?
>
> What about tasks (bottom left)?  Does it stay at No Tasks when you try
> to get the message, or does it display the task momentarily?  If the
> latter, does it show the task if you open the task dialog, and what does
> it say is the status there?
>
> Also, how what is the actual size of the files in the cache?  (On linux,
> du /path/to/cache, probably du ~/.pan/article-cache or the like, in a
> terminal window.)
>
> Talking about which... ensure that the cache dir exists and is readable/
> writable and on *ix executable (aka enterable, for a directory) for your
> user.  Maybe it got deleted somehow and the recreation is screwed up due
> to filemask or some such, so the permissions are wrong.  (I actually had
> that happen once... when I had the filemask set unusually due to a
> security bug pan had had shortly before, so pan couldn't actually see
> inside the dir because it didn't have execute/enter permissions on it --
> I wasn't thinking about it trying to recreate directories when I set the
> mask.)
>
> Does manually deleting all the files (or the dir, but recreate the empty
> dir, you can of course back it up before deletion if you don't want to
> actually lose what's in the cache) in the cache help?

I got all that information and replied, but accidentally used wrong email
address (thanks for not accepting it because I wanted to keep it private)
but then found that after some crash (maybe couldn't connect to ES
repeatedly after wrong password likely from corrupt preferences.xml) pan
set mode to offline.