Jari Arkko wrote:
Yoshihiro,

Yes, the IP address of CPAA is the one that needs to be discovered and the PANA exchange for pre-auth happens between the client the CPAA. We will clarify these two points.

OK.

The security considerations section seems thin. I'm sure there are more aspects to consider. For instance, what about DoS attacks where an evil client creates unnecessary state in a large number of networks? What about opening firewalls up for PANA traffic from the Internet -- it would seem that at the very least, there's an issue of fraudulent clients attempting to start EAP negotiations, creating partial session entries in PANA, AAA, and EAP state machines.

I agree that the security considerations is thin. This is because this draft inherits all security considerations applicable to RFC 5191. I admit this inheritance is missing in the current draft and needs to be explicitly mentioned. I believe by adding the inheritance to the current text the above issue can be covered. What do you think?

I do not believe the security considerations of RFC 5191 are sufficient here. In 5191 the assumption was that you are in a local network. The threats when opening up PAAs to communication from the Internet are very different. Of course, we can hope that the mitigating mechanisms are largely the same. But you really need to highlight the security differences, and explain how PANA deals (or doesn't deal) with the issues.

I agree that highlighting the security difference between
RFC 5191 and this draft is missing, and we will highlight it.

Thanks,
Yoshihiro Ohba

802.21 is mentioned to be the default discovery mechanism. But the text that says this is very thin on how 802.21 should be used. And the reference is informative. Maybe there's a part of 802.21 that explains exactly how to do it and what attributes are used. But I doubt it. Perhaps it would be better to not claim that 802.21 is the default mechanism.

You are right that 802.21-2008 does not define an information element specifically used for discovering CPAA. I was thinking about the use of extended schema or vendor specific information element to define an information element for CPAA. On the other hand, that is not not a standard way. So I agree not to make 802.21 the default CPAA discovery mechanism.

OK

Overall, I think this draft is reasonably simple and can move forward. However, given that we have no real specification of the discovery phase, and given the general lack of wide-spread working group interest, I'd say Experimental extension is the right classification.

I agree on Experimental extension.

Good. Thanks for your quick response.

Jari