James, Jim,


Thanks! James, interesting site I've bookmarked it so I can go back when it's 
time.

Next couple of weeks are very busy personally and not sure if I'll be able to 
post anything until months end.




JoeG


-----Original Message-----
From: James Hairston <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Mon, Oct 5, 2009 11:20 pm
Subject: [Papermodels II 40292] Re: UPDATE 8   1-32 Type VII U-Boat Build 
Conning Tower

























It looks great. I’m glad to hear
you cat striped the formers.



That should help with the cupping around
the formers.



 






James J. Hairston



8559 Birch Creek Rd.



Keller Tx. 76248



H: (817) 337-4183;
E-Mail: [email protected]



 



 






-----Original Message-----

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of [email protected]

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009
2:41 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: [Papermodels II 40288]
UPDATE 8 1-32 Type VII U-Boat Build
Conning Tower



 






Conning Tower
FINALLY



















I had to start plating somewhere
so I picked the conning tower as looking the easiest.

This is my first model with formers and skins.



All of the hull and the majority of the saddle tanks have strips applied to
them to make a wider spot to attache the edges of the skins to. Smart move to
allow for possible misalignment.
 Oddly, the conning tower has no such provision
so I went ahead and added them myself. The skins are going down nicely but even
with the added length from the additional glue strips thatere was some minor
trimming at some edges.



Started dead center front and worked each side down separately. Not seen in the
pictures is the skin that is applied around the sides and bottom of the lower
Wintergarden. Not only does the skin have to fit around a curved inward angle,
it also has to twist from the inward angle out to straight up-and-down.

I mention this not because it was difficult to apply (it wasn't). I say it as a
kudo to kooklit to be able to design a piece that fits so well around many
angles and reverse twists. Even with the use of CAD, I think the fit on this
piece is amazing. For those of you who have the model, it's part Y4.



I dry-fitted the decking in place to see how it fit (nice and snug!) and how it
looked. Very nice.

I'm going out on a limb and saying I am seriously contemplating laying down
individual "wood" strips on the deck. The models certainly big enough
for that and it would look great. Would like to find some nice solid color
(through the paper) scrap-booking paper that could be cut into strips. Sure,
real wood strips would be better.



I did insert some strips along the indside bottom to alleviate some of the
cupping that naturally occurs. Keep in mind I'm using 100# Bristol board-that's
pretty thick as it is!








=0
A















 





--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Papermodels II" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/papermodels?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to