On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM, james bardin <jbar...@bu.edu> wrote:

>>> Yes, the solution written entirely in c will be significantly faster.
>>> Since this is mostly python, cpu is the limiting factor.
>>
>> I have zero experience in ssh and encryption, but my expection was
>> that at least in the case of transfering 10+ Gb files, the process
>> will be bounded by network and not CPU.

Your email got me thinking, so I did a few tests:

The biggest boost in performance was had by using the latest
pycrypto(2.1.0). You'll get a deprecation warning from paramiko that
you can ignore for now (bug already submitted in github). There was a
change to the HMAC code that made a huge difference in paramiko's
performance.

I tried using a limited bandwidth connection, and paramiko was on par
with openssh when cpu wasn't a concern.
When bandwidth wasn't an issue (using loopback), paramiko was about
85% of the speed of openssh on my machine.

Each newer version of python2.X was slightly faster as well.