You r right. I had this problem in my application also. While there was a loss in connection or anything it used to wait for ever. As a solution i wrote a timeout function and called exec_command within that . :-)
I was also wondering why the have not given timeout there.

Wan Li wrote:
Hi gurus,

As I'm using paramiko for a long-running application, sometimes I found the ssh command execution will never return a result which basically because there are many operations lack of timeout support. For example, command execution don't have timeout option, ssh negotiation don't have it and even ssh password auth process don't have ether. I think many other users may hit those "bugs" and don't even know what's happened, shall we add timeout option for all these operations?
Correct me if I'm obviously wrong.

Thanks