Lets try this again, from an even higher perspective:

I have several git repositories. Each one holds a plugin project for paraview. They are:

PVMXA
PVDislocation
PVOIM

The three projects are independent. Usually I would set PARAVIEW_EXTRA_EXTERNAL_MODULE to "PVMXA;PVOIM;PVDislocation" and run CMake. CMake would ask me for all the source directories for each "module" and things went as planned. With the PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGINS_FILE which one of the repos would I store that in? (Rhetorical question..). I guess I can keep the same file in _each_ of the repos with instructions telling the user how to comment out what they don't need? Seems a bit odd to have to do it that way. Now, if PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGINS_FILE would actually be PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGINS_FILES (Note the plural) and I could assign multiple files to it then this would be much better. Again, Having been out of the ParaView plugin game for 9 months I may have missed something along then way.

Hopefully that is more clear in where I am getting confused.
--
Mike Jackson <www.bluequartz.net>