Dear all

Please bear over with me, but I've tried to google for the following error messages and have seen that other people have the same problem as me (but the threads have been unanswered). I hope somebody can help me avoid this error:

-------------------
$ python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Sep 15 2010, 16:22:56)
[GCC 4.4.5] on linux2
>>> from sys import path
>>> path.append('/usr/lib/paraview')
>>> from paraview.simple import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/paraview/simple.py", line 39, in <module>
    import servermanager
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/paraview/servermanager.py", line 43, in <module>
    import paraview, re, os, new, sys, vtk
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/paraview/vtk/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from libvtkCommonPython import *
ImportError: libvtkCommonPythonD.so.pv3.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But it's not true - I've have the file it's looking for:

martin@MEK-404-MFJO-01:~$ locate libvtkCommonPythonD.so
/usr/lib/paraview/libvtkCommonPythonD.so
/usr/lib/paraview/libvtkCommonPythonD.so.pv3.8

???

I know somebody who's running Ubuntu 10.04 and doesn't have this problem so I think the problem is related to something that has changed between these two versions...

Please advice - any suggestions are most welcome...