I dug into the error a bit and at a glance, it seems like it might be an
issue with the vtkCompositeDataPipeline (pinging Berk for this since he
knows more about composite pipelines).

The stack for the error is:

1   vtkDataObjectTree::SetDataSetFrom vtkDataObjectTree.cxx:305
2   vtkDataObjectTree::SetDataSet vtkDataObjectTree.cxx:242
3   vtkCompositeDataPipeline::ExecuteEach vtkCompositeDataPipeline.cxx:310
4   vtkCompositeDataPipeline::ExecuteSimpleAlgorithm
vtkCompositeDataPipeline.cxx:398
5   vtkCompositeDataPipeline::ExecuteData vtkCompositeDataPipeline.cxx:167

Since the glyph filter is not equipped to handle composite glyphs, the
pipeline iterates through all of the datasets in the composite glyph source
and executes the filter for each of them, combining the outputs into
another composite dataset. But for some reason, the output composite
dataset doesn't seem to match the input composite dataset's structure.

The odd thing I see is that ExecuteSimpleAlgorithm does call CopyStructure
before iterating through the glyphs at vtkCompositeDataPipeline:369. Not
sure why things are mismatched when the output is updated.