Thanks very much Ken and others.

I just tested the warp by scalar filter (I didn't know about this before)
and it looks like it can do what I need with the vertical coord, like you
suggested.

What I will do is this:
I will modify the netcdf file to add a 1D x and y coord variable with the
same name as the x and y dimensions.  I will add a 3D coord var for z.  If
the Paraview netcdf interface can read this in then great!  If the Paraview
netcdf interface cannot handle the 3D z coord then I will use the warp by
scalar filter to apply the z coord var, and will also let you know in case
you want to modify the functionality.

BTW I found this info about coordinate vars on more than 1 dimension:
http://cfconventions.org/cf-conventions/v1.6.0/cf-conventions.html#_two_dimensional_latitude_longitude_coordinate_variables
I'll try the coordinates attribute as suggested in the link above, and will
send you an example netcdf file that I believe to be consistent with CF if
it doesn't work in Paraview.

Regards,
Rupert Gladstone