On 14/11/2016 21:27, ilf wrote:
Currently, pass depends on pwgen to generate passwords. I think it would be easy and desirable to drop this dependency and generate passwords natively.

Here's a simple way to generate passwords from /dev/random directly in shell:

tr -dc "[:graph:]" < /dev/urandom | head -c 32

We could also use "alnum" instead of "graph" and/or "base64" instead of "head".

I really see no reason to add an extra dependency, just for its single use on line 457 of src/password-store.sh.

Also, we gain being in control of (and responsible) of password generation ourselves. In the past, there have been issues with pwgen using low-entopy:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2012/01/22/6
http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2013/05/24/7

What do you think?

I think whatever is done won't satisfy everyone, so it needs to be easily pluggable. I would prefer not in an environment variable - but that would probably mean introducing a config file, either in the user's home directory, or inside the repo itself (like .gpg-id)