Dear Comrades
The merits or demerits of Kunene v/s Vavi spat aside.
Vavi is very selective in his criticism and i understand that at a political
level. At a revolutionary level it makes his pro-poor and pro-workers rhetoric
a mockery.
For exmaple he is loud mouthed about corruption, and i gree that corruption
must be fought hard and condemned whenever it rears its ugly head, but when JZ
was charged for corruption he was the first one  to call for a political
solution to a purely criminal matter. He is full of doublespeak!
If there is enough evidence of criminal conduct the person must stand trial for
the court to make a determination taking into account procedural and
substantive issues. Instead Vavi and the ANC decided that JZ's case will be
resolved through the backdoor and indeed it happened. Whether alleged
interference by Ngcuka should deal a fatal blow to a substantiated criminal
case is a question of law that should be argued in court. I say alleged
interference because we dont even know whether, first and foremost, the tapes
that Mpshe used to quash the case against Zuma are authentic or fake! We were
just given a one sided story which may well be a lie! Worse we dont even know,
if the conversations really took place, and whether the tapping was sanctioned.
It may be that it was an illegal tapping and therefore inadmissible in court.
Justice demands that all these questions must be determined by a court of law
in a fair and impartial manner. It is even more interesting that Vavi
complaints about the killing of the Arms Deal corruption investigation when he
was part of a gang that saved one of those implicated in the same corruption
scandal. In other words only some must face the music while others must be
saved by all crooked means. In fact part of the political solution that Vavi
advanced is to ensure that the entire Arms Deal probe is dead and buried so
that charges against JZ never surface again and for me this is the real motive
behind the killing of the Arm Deal corruption investigation.
It is easy to tell that the HAWKS are just blowing hot air when it cites lack
of resources as the major reason for closing down the investigations. The
disbandment of the scorpions to the HAWKS ought to simply be a matter of a name
change. The infrustructure should still be in place with all its resources and
therefore simply transfered into the new body. We are not talking of a new
demand for which you must go and look for resources. The personell and the
resources have been there. What happened to the scorpions personell and its
budget? How can we be told that the HAWKS are starving and expected to believe
this, under the circumstances?
How can they inow, in all sincerity call for a corrupt free society after
absolving themselves and raping the jucial system in full view of the public in
broad-day light?
However we should take a principled stand against crass materiakism and greed
in face of grinding poverty and at the same time expose wolves like Vavi.

Anyway see Kunene's letter to Vavi below. Like aside, my views above have
nothing to do with the spat between the two but rather Vavi's character.

Hulisani Mmbara
082 593 3012
Businessman Kenny Kunene responds to Zwelinzima Vavi's comments By Kenny Kunene

The Big Read: Dear Mr Vavi, You did not address me directly in your comments to
the media but I was clearly your target. Unlike you, I will be less cowardly in
what I know is my right to respond and make it clear that you, Mr Vavi, are my
target.

Current Font Size:

 You were happy to attend Gumede's R50m wedding

Related Multimedia
 VIDEO
Extraordinary Joes #2: The Wrap Stars

There is definitely corruption in South Africa; there is cronyism, nepotism,
bribery and everything else that rolls off your tongue like a rap sheet from a
police printer. There's so much of it, in fact, that I can only wonder why you
suddenly feel the need to talk about one birthday party as if it has anything
to do with your particular form of social revolution or the principles of the
struggle.
You say that my so-called R700000 party is a "corruption of morality" and that
I'm "spitting in the face of the poor". I should not have to defend what I
spend my money on - a huge milestone in my life - when it's honest money spent
on honest fun.
You are no stranger to the good life, as you had a lavish wedding two years
ago, with horse-drawn carriages no less.

You remind me of what it felt like to live under apartheid: you are telling me,
a black man, what I can and cannot do with my life.
White people threw big parties every day when I was a poor young black man.
They are still throwing parties. There is nothing wrong with that. Many of them
are my friends. I look up to many of them. We celebrate success, not doing what
many now do, hiding their money in fear of what people like you will say. I
want my life to inspire people to go into business, so they can create jobs for
others.
A party like mine is not a place for you, but despite this you were only too
happy to attend Robert Gumede's R50-million wedding held in full view of the
poorest of the poor. You went without complaint. Must we conclude that lavish
parties are okay, as long as you are invited to them?
You speak of my party as if I only care about the elite. I am having a
follow-up party this coming weekend for the underprivileged and poor, who are
also part of my life, and always will be.
During the World Cup you were sitting in elite air-conditioned suites. What
were you eating there? What were you drinking? We didn't begrudge you a good
time, we didn't mutter about it to the media. We didn't say you were spitting
in the faces of the poor.
You became a political leader late in your life. Your comments smack of
bitterness because if it's true that you only live on your salary then you will
only be a millionaire, maybe a billionaire, in your next life.
You are narrow-minded and still think that it's a sin for black people to drive
sports cars or be millionaires at a young age. You make my stomach turn.
You often speak of my wealth and that of others as acquired in "questionable
ways". I have never hidden my criminal past. I have been to more than 2000
schools telling kids that they can drive sports cars, live in luxury houses,
wear designer clothes and throw big parties - not through criminal acts, such
as selling drugs, robbery, fraud, or contract killing.
If you advocate your particular lifestyle as the only virtuous lifestyle, how
many of these kids do you think you could possibly inspire to make the right
choices?
South Africa was very interested in the story of how your wife was being paid
by SA Quantum to market to the unions. Despite the fact that SA Quantum
actually bribed the Mail & Guardian to keep the story quiet (Mail & Guardian
1/4/2010), you were very glib in dismissing any corruption in the matter.
Perhaps the next time I feel like throwing a party I should just tell
journalists that my wife is paying for it. Maybe that will shut you up.
I am self-made. I don't hide behind my wife's businesses.
In conclusion, I want to correct your misapprehension that my party cost
R700000. It cost more. And no, in case you were wondering, you won't be invited
to the next one either. In fact, the next time people are invited to my party,
you can go hang or go to hell.

This is an edited version of the open letter businessman Kenny Kunene wrote to
Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi

--
Sending your posting to payco@googlegroups.com