Tshwane Regional Secretary, Albert Mokoena will be on SAFm will Xolani
Gwala at 08h00, 20 March (Tomorrow).

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/protesters-lambast-metrorail-1.1485686#.UUjPGRci4to

Protesters lambast Metrorail

March 13 2013 at 01:16pm
By Jonisayi Maromo

Comment on this
story<http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/protesters-lambast-metrorail-1.1485686#comments_start>
------------------------------
[image: IOL pic feb21 metrorail new]

Independent Newspapers

File photo: Cindy Waxa

Pretoria - A group of irate commuters on Wednesday accused Metrorail of
neglecting its responsibilities and mismanaging the train service.

The protesters gathered outside the Bosman railway station in Pretoria,
demanding an urgent improvement in the service.

Vusi Mahlangu, who studies law at the University of SA, said using the
train was a “painful daily experience”.

“On a daily basis, we are late either for our studies or for tests. On
behalf of all students, I am here to plead with Metrorail, please fix your
timetable.

“We demand more trains and we demand clean and safe service. Most students
are being made to fail by the poor service of Metrorail,” he said.

Metrorail regional operations manager Abram Nkgabutle received the
protesters' memorandum. With several police officers flanking him he
listened to the commuters’ grievances.

An elderly woman said the problem was exacerbated because Metrorail
officials did not use the trains themselves, and did not understand how the
service had deteriorated.

“You drive around in your (BMW) X5s. Take time and use a train one day.
Some of us have used trains ever since you were not even born,” she said.

Another protester, Thabang Mothelo, wept as he addressed Nkgabutle about
the “tribulations of train commuters”.

“It is a very painful experience when 6000 people are crammed into one
train. A cousin of mine was injured in a train accident and only got R7500.
She is now a cripple.

“I use a train because we don’t have a car. Sometimes we go to bed without
eating at home. Government doesn’t care about us, the people who vote. We
don’t have to fight to get what we want, don’t treat us like monkeys,”
Mothelo said.

After handing over the memorandum, the protesters marched along Bosman
street to the transport department's offices on Struben Street.

Earlier, a leader of the protesters, Reuben Rathelele, told journalists
that train services had deteriorated over the years.

“We want them to improve on their service. We want to have toilets in the
trains and we want Metrorail to curb overcrowding.

There is no security in the trains. Our people are being raped in the
trains and theft is rampant.”

Rathelele said the trains were often not on time, causing many commuters to
be late for work.

Rathelele said he was a branch chairman of the Pan Africanist Congress in
Soshanguve. Some of the protesters wore green PAC T-shirts.

Police and Tshwane metro police officers escorted the protesters. Some
bystanders used their cellphones to photograph the event.

A protester used a loudhailer to invite commuters to join the strike.

“Join the march, comrade. Come and join. Don't just complain,” he shouted.

*Sapa*

Sending your posting to payco@googlegroups.com

You can also visit http://groups.google.com/group/payco

Visit our website at www.mayihlome.wordpress.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Pan
Africanist Youth Congress" group.
to payco+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.