I've been experimenting with Audacity 1.2.1 for the past couple of weeks. A few
questions:

1. I haven't been able to find or figure out a way to select only a portion of a sound
track (rather than all of it, with control-a), how can I do this using just the
keyboard? Add to this, apparently the left and right cursor keys move the cursor
backward and forward through the track, but I have no idea where the cursor is after
I've done this. When I hold either of them down, I do not hear any sound in order to
give me an idea of where I am.

Goldwave has a convenient feature: the f6 key is the pause button. Pressing the [ and
] keys select the start and finish of a portion of a sound track. Is there something
like this in Audacity?

2. How do I add silence to the end of a track in order for an effect to fade out? When
I select silence from one of the menus, the audio is completely replaced with silence.

3. On the website about the VST enabler for Audacity, it mentions something about
Steinberg's software - do I need to install this too in order to use VST plugins?

Thanks very much in advance!

David