*********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
On 23/08/2004 at 1:24 PM Barbara! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Remaster craftsman
Posted August 22 2004

By Lawrence A. Johnson
Classical Music Writer
Sun Sentinel.com, South Florida
In the recording industry's infancy, the voices of artists such as
Enrico
Caruso,
Luisa Tetrazzini, Beniamino Gigli, Nellie
Melba and Tito Schipa provided music aficionados with their first
exposure
to opera.
Yet the sound emerging from these primitive recordings was often a
tinny,
ghostly
reflection of what these singers sounded
like in the flesh. And today, the scratchy surfaces of the era's
fragile
shellac
78s bear the pops and clicks of intervening
decades, requiring immense patience and concentration from listeners.
With the advent of the digital era, celebrated musicians of the early
20th
century
have gotten a new lease on life. And no
one has done more to make their artistry sing again than remastering
wizard
Ward
Marston.
For three decades now, the Pennsylvania native has provided a bridge to
our
musical
past. Marston is a sonic magician, hailed
for his restorations of antique, often intractable historical
recordings.
With 500
CDs worth of material released to date,
his work has garnered international acclaim and several honors
including a
Grammy
and Gramophone Award.
"You want to get the sound as natural as possible," said Marston, from
his
home outside
of Philadelphia. "I listen to as much
live music as I can to keep the sound of real music in my ear. I always
try
to make
the record sound like music -- not like
records."
Much as art experts repair damaged paintings and film historians
refurbish
deteriorating
movies, Marston is the acknowledged
leader in the field of audio restoration, approaching the task with the

precision
and meticulous concentration of a master
surgeon. The presence, immediacy and striking amount of sonic detail
that
emerge
from Marston's remastered work are little
short of astonishing.
In Marston's second go-round restoring Caruso's complete recordings for
the
Naxos
label, the Italian tenor's vibrant voice
fairly leaps out of the speakers with impact, dynamic nuance and tonal
subtleties
that could only be guessed at previously.
Other sonic excavation work has brought soprano Nellie Melba, violinist
Maud
Powell
and tenor Tito Schipa to an entirely new
generation of music collectors.
The fact that the 52-year-old opera fan has been blind since birth has
been
only
a modest impediment to his work. Marston
admits it may have enhanced his legendary ear for pitch and intonation,
but
claims
no special qualities over his sighted
colleagues.
"I think it's probably true that I can focus my attention perhaps
more,"
he
said.
"But I'm the only blind person doing this,
and there's plenty of other people with eyesight doing great transfer
work,
too."
Cache of Caruso
Marston's fascination with the artists on historical recordings came at
very young
age, when the 5-year-old unearthed a
cache of Caruso 78s at his great-uncle's house. Marston said he will
never
forget
the moment when he played the first Caruso
aria. "I was absolutely enthralled," he recalls. "It was like I was
immediately transported
to a different place. It really
took me into another world. I wanted to know more about this kind of
singing."
Marston's uncle was an avid collector with hundreds of 78s. Soon young
Ward
was delving
into arias and songs sung by John
McCormack, Tetrazzini, Amelita Galli-Curci, Ernestine Schumann-Heink
and
Tita Ruffo.
When he was 8, his uncle gave Ward his entire collection, and the boy
scoured thrift
shops for more. "I was fortunate in that
I grew up at a time when the LP was replacing the 78 and people were
discarding them,"
he says. Marston's musical interest
quickly expanded to orchestral music, especially performances led by
the
great Leopold
Stokowski, who has remained a
favorite.
Honing his craft
Marston's hobby took on a practical application and charted his future
while
he was
attending Williams College in
Massachusetts, where he earned his history degree. Working at the
college
classical
radio station, he became frustrated by
the difficulties in playing old recordings of extended works.
"I wanted to play 78s," he recalls. "I tried to figure out a way to
join
the
sides
together so I could play an entire
symphony without flipping the records over every four minutes." Rather
than
the standard
tape-splicing method, Marston used a
stereo tape recorder, putting one 78 on one channel and the next on the

other. He
then overlapped the two to achieve seamless
side joins and ensure uninterrupted musical continuity without jarring
interruptions.
After graduation, Marston produced and engineered a comprehensive
58-show
series
on Philadelphia public radio, Stokowski: The
Philadelphia Years. Early work doing transfers for the International
Piano
Archive
on the Desmar label led to retooling
Budapest String Quartet performances for CBS. Marston honed his craft
over
the six
years he worked for The Franklin Mint,
when the organization was putting out elaborate boxed sets of
classical,
jazz, folk
and country. After the Mint got out of
the music business, Marston was able to freelance for other companies.
His
reputation
spread and his remasterings began to
receive accolades from critics and music historians.
Though the majority of his work is done as a freelancer for a host of
labels
including
Naxos, Andante, Pearl and BMG/RCA,
Marston has increasingly devoted his efforts to his own eponymous
label,
launched
in 1997 with business partner Scott
Kessler.
Averaging about 10 releases a year, Marston Records is the ne plus
ultra
of
historical
music labels. In addition to boasting
Marston's nonpareil transfer work, each release is handsomely produced
with
a generous
array of archival photos and
comprehensive notes.
Among the more than 50 releases to date are discs devoted to singers
such
as
Marcel
Journet, Claire Croiza and Johanna
Gadski, pianist Josef Hofmann, and the French Pathé Company's
pioneering
series of
complete opera recordings begun in 1911.
Most fascinating of all is The Edison Voice Trials. Recorded as tests
for
the inventor's
cylinder recording system, these
auditions of long-forgotten singers from 1912 and 1913 are astonishing
for
their
vividness and detail.
Niche market
Compared to the mega-numbers of Norah Jones and Eminem, Marston's sales
will
always
seem relatively minute. A thousand units
is a good average, he says, with popular releases like the Hofmann
discs
and
Edison
Trials going as high as 2,500 --
"fabulous" numbers for a niche label.
Having recently lost their distributor, harmonia mundi, Marston and
Kessler
now do
their own marketing through a subscriber
list and their elegant Web site (marstonrecords.com).
Marston is excited about several new projects, including the complete
recordings
of pianist Leopold Godowsky and
mezzo-soprano Conchita Supervia.
He stresses that the reason for his label's existence is not to ring up

massive sales
but to put rare performances out there
for the general public.
"We can keep going as long as we decide we want to," he says. "Right
now
it
really
is a labor of love."
A jazz pianist who plays private dates with his own dance band, Marston
is
somewhat
comparable to the finest of the artists
he has restored to life: a painstaking perfectionist who is always
seeking
to improve
his own best efforts.
"It's a lot of work and there's a lot of subjective processing that has
go on,"
he says. "How should a recording sound?
How much tinkering should I do? How much of an interventionist should I
be?
My ideas
change from day to day."
Though he is rarely completely satisfied, Marston takes pride in his
work
on
the
recent Andante set, which restored
Stokowski's complete Wagner recordings to the public.
"I worked very hard and spent long hours," he recalls. "I don't think I

could have
done any better. I think I did my best."
*********** END FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********

Regards Steve,
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype:  steve1963