Ok! well I have a comment to make on this subject.

What you said below seems very general, I mean their are different things
that people may want to encode, (music and speech for example) and (from
what I understand) ABR will not work too well with music (VBR is supposed
to work better) so you can see my concern when a manual for a product
recommends one form of encoding over another in this way, if the manual
actually provides some background information as to why the recommendation
is made then fare enough.

Secondly, without casting any doubts or making any criticisms towards CDEX,
I ask the question, just how old is the manual we're referring to.  Its
over 18 months since I've used CDEX and allot has changed in that period of
time with LAME, allot of work has gone into improving the whole LAME
software so what the manual says about LAME may not be accurate any longer,
of course (me having not used CDEX for such a long time, I've lost touch
and (for all I know) their may ahve been subsequent update releases of CDEX
too!).

Now ABR and VBR, 2 very different systems.  ABR works out the average bit
rate of a file and encodes it that way where as VBR works on each frame of
the file and encodes each frame to the best bit rate appropriate to that
frame, if you have silence then encoding drops down to the minimum set (by
default this is 32KBPS).

The settings I spoke of in my original message were designed to get maximum
compression and quality using VBR, if the quality setting is either too
high or too low you either end up with a small file of lousy quality or a
massive file of good quAlity audio, people are under the impression that
(with the VBR method) the higher the quality number the better the quality
encoding so I was just making the point that the quality setting doesn't
work as simply as that.