Hi Folks

I've a bit of a question for those with good technical knowledge.  It's a
bit convoluted but I'll try and be as brief as I can.

The system is windows 2000 on a 2.8 ghz machine:   it's a laptop with two
sound cards, one internal, and one pcmcia Echo Indigo card.  I also use a 16
channel mixing desk into the pcmcia sound card.  I use this for broadcasting
on ACB Radio with the sounds and multi media control set to the pcmcia card,
although I don't have it set to only use this preferred device.  For
broadcasting all is absolutely fine.  Also for Skype, I use the microphone
through the desk and that is absolutely fine as well.  However, when it
comes to Sound Forge and in fact Cool Edit as well, neither programme seem
to see the sound card in terms of recording, although for playback both work
fine.  if I play something like a minidisk through the desk, the sound comes
through my speakers okay, but the meters on both Sound Forge and Cool Edit
don't register a thing.  I have been into the Sound Forge and cool Edit
preferences, both record and playback, and tried both Microsoft Sound mapper
and the pcmcia card but neither seem to show it.  Now here comes the
interesting bit.  If i, for example play something via Winamp set to the
pcmcia card, Sound Forge doesn't see it, however, if I take a cable from the
output of the sound card - to the input of the same card, and keep the
volume level down, then Sound Forge sees it just fine and I can record and
normalise afterwards.  I've checked in sounds and multi-media and nothing is
muted that shouldn't be on the pcmcia card.

If I then try to use, within sounds and multi-media, the internal card,
setting everything to that, and then put a signal into the pcmcia card via
the desk, Sound Forge sees it just fine.  Can anyone explain why, if Sound
Forge is set to the pcmcia card, or to the Microsoft Sound mapper, when
sounds and multi-media main controls are set to the pcmcia card, I can't
record with it.

I do hope this makes sense and sorry it's a bit convoluted but it's baffling
me totally.  Okay, I could and can set the sounds and multi-media to the
internal card, but I don't like the idea of switching back and forth as I
know I'm going to get it wrong one day when I'm broadcasting, and anyway
shouldn't sound Forge see the card from the point of view of recording, if
it's preferences are set to that card?

Again, I do hope this makes sense to someone.

many thanks for any help.

Chrissie