Ok, well I use 2 Sound Cards (or devices, which ever you like) here without a problem though I don't use JFW or any software speech as this can complicate issues, I have more computing power and resources at my disposal etc but that's another topic for another day.

Firstly, I tather that in order to use more than one software device, you need to be using Windows XP, I use XP here and I have no trouble though I've never tried using more than one sound device with Windows 98, ME etc.

Second, I'm told that for best results its best to use 2 completely different sound devices (the example is given below of both internal and external sound devices which sounds fare enough to me, in my case I use the internal sound device which is placed on my Mother board and an Audigy Sound Blaster card, the system works well with these 2 devices).

Third, make sure that your devices are configured correctly from the control pannel, I have my Internal device configured so that all system sounds and events are played through it. If I want to do any further configurations for the sound devices I do those directly from other applications, (Winamp for instance, I go into the Output Tree of the Preferences and configure the Waveout plug-in to play directly to my Sound Blaster Audigy which is connected to my audio system), the trick seems to be to bypass (wherever possible) that Microsoft Sound Mapper, and (if installed) to Total Recorder driver etc.

Finally, be sure tthat all drivers for all sound devices are up-to-date. Be sure that the internal sound device (if you're planning to use one) has been enabled from the CMOS and take note that Windows XP may not be able to find some sound devices automatically so the option of using a hardware speech synthesizer comes into its own here.

Cheers