You could use a patch cord with 2 rca pins on one end and a standard earplug jack on the other. The earplug jack goes into the computer, and the rca pins go into the outputs of the tape machine. After that, you will need either Goldwave, Sound Forge, or a similar program which will let you flip the 3 and 4 tracks which will be recorded backwards. You could use a standard NLS-type machine, but it should have a line-out. If you use one of these, since it's not stereo, you will be able to avoid flipping tracks 3 and 4, but you will have to record each track separately which will add to the time. The recording software should be able to make the mp3s to your requirements.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allison Mervis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:05 PM
Subject: ripping four track tapes to mp3 format

Hi all!
I have some cassette tapes that I'd like to transfer over to my computer. I need to know exactly what kind of hardware and software I'll need to do this. Do I need a special tape player or just a patch cord? I heard that goldwave can be used to do the actual ripping, but is there something else that might work better? If someone could send me a list of what I'll need along with detailed instructions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Allison