Hi, Rod,
Not sher where your boundaries of comprehension are concerning frequency. I
gather that you know the basic concept, that is, frequency as we normally
use the term indicates the number of cycles per second of, presumably, a
periodic occurrence, and the unit of frequency is the hertz which is one
cycle per second. You can have random patterns of vibrations that occur
within a narrow band of frequencies. For examble, the "sh" sound is no
periodic, but depending on the mouth cavity of the person saying it, the
"sh" sound may fall with a band from, say 2200 to 4000 hertz.
Having said that, you can develop your ears to determine at least
approximate frequencies by using your sound editor's tone generator as an
ear trainer and/or you can employ any musical instrument as a reference,
knowing that, for example, middle C is approximately 261 hertz and the a
above that is exactly 440 herts if in tune. I would say that most folks
who've been dabbling in this stuff for awhile have developed such concepts.
Now, as to eliminating frequencies in a vocal track, don't waist your time
unless you jsut wanna experiment to see what else disappears when you try to
x out a vocal.
Getting rid of AC hum is easy because it's a simple sound with usually, 2 or
three components: the 60 hz fundamental and two harmonics above, each
separated by 60 hz. Filtering those out will also delete any other
vibrations of that frequency that happen by, but due to the nature of the
music itself, you're not apt to notice those deletions.
Now for example, let's say that we wanted to keep Nelson Riddle's orchestral
palate but delete Frank Sinatra's vocalizing of the phrase, "Allo the Way."
Well! you not only have the basic three notes of the melody to delete, but
also, all the variations caused by his vibrato and all the overtones of the
voice itself. This, in turn, is made more complicated by the fact that each
vowel has its own "formant," a frequency band of higher intensity that tells
you what the vowel it. An "o" will emphasize those frequencies around 500 to
600 hz, and a long "e" will tweak the band around 3000 to 4000 hz. So,
without software that lets you see where all those things show up in the
spectrum and also lets you delete them, your sol. Hope this clears up some
stuff.
Jay