The manual states that the floor should be at 64 kbps. It sounds to me like it suggests going to vbr-abr. I'm trying to learn this stuff too. I'm also wondering what advantage there is to using the default vbr settings is.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Yardbird" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "PC audio discussion list. " <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: Understanding and comparing compression formats

Thanks for explaining this.  One more question about settings:

I've learned from you how to make variable bit rate settings. Now, if I
wish to try the average bit rate approach described in the manual, I wonder
if I've discovered the way to set it for that. There isn't any button or
anything for doing this, so I poked around in the combo box list of various
variable bit rate types. First you have Disabled, then you have the default
one, I guess that's what you're expected to use normally.

Then you have a couple of variations whose names I don't understand.  And
then, last on the list, is an option written as "VBR -ABR!"  could this be
the choice that sets the encoder to use an average bit rate, as a sub-type
of "variable bit rate?"  Does anyone know?

this program, though the price is right and the operation fairly simple to
navigate with a screen reader, is pretty bad in terms of how things are
named and how the documentation is written. I mean, it truly makes no sense
at time. It doesn't say, for instance, how to set VBR or ABR despite
discussing them, and I see it's given one reader the opposite idea of what
it meant by cautioning against not using a floor setting. Same for the on
the fly explanation. It starts by saying one thing, then reverses itself
not out of intention but just because the writing is confused, and no one
edited it for clarity.

I believe your own explanation of the on the fly deal sounded right. I've
noticed that ripping takes much longer when you uncheck it, so I assume this
is because those operations I'm hearing tracked by the progress bar involve
a first one that writes the track to an image, as you put it, and then it
converts that to an .mp3. But honestly, this stuff wouldn't be so hard if
the interface and documentation were a little better done.

I know, beggars can't be choosers.  So step on my pencil cup and smash my
blues guitar.  But still.

Okay, so what about the ABR setting?  Is that how you'd make it?  and then
do you still set a minimum and maximum for it to work with?

thanks, guys.
coencodr fr
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>