On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:11:58 -0400, you wrote:

> If we're talking very advanced compact Flash recorders, the Ederil R1,
>which you can buy at ChirpingBat is very good.

Nick, do you actually have one in hand?  I'm starting to hear reports
of folks who are finally receiving their back-orders who are less than
thrilled with the unit, but not because of its ability (or inability)
to make a good recording. Apparently some folks have some issues with
the design of the case, ease (or lack thereof), of removing or
inserting the FLASH memory module, ... mechanical things which, over
time, could put stress on the unit and cause it to break down.  I
don't know about you or how you use these things, but, large or small,
recorders tend to get batted around a bit--they fall of tables, get
knocked around inside backpacks, come into contact with coins and keys
in pockets (which had better mean there are no metal contacts on the
outside of the unit for interfacing with mains power or battery
chargers like some other appliances I've used over the course of my
electronic life), etc.  Also, I'm generally not thrilled with devices
like this in plastic cases,which I know the R1 definitely has.  But
I'm still willing to give it a shot because I've heard it does its
main job well, and that's what I'm buying it for--to record.  I'll
figure a way to deal with the rest if I have to.