From: "Peter Logue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'PC audio discussion list. '" <Pc-audio@pc-audio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:24 PM
Subject: RE: gigs, megs, megabytes

I've got 1,000 CD's on 65.5 GB.
Give or take 50 CD's
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
Behalf Of JG
Sent: August 30, 2005 7:43 PM
To: PC audio discussion list.

>How many megs are in a gig, and with 80 gigs, how many CDs can I put on
>the hard drive.
at the risk of sounding a bit pedantic, 1 gb is just under 1100 mb.  You
must
remember that your 80gb drive needs to be formatted before it's ready  for
storing data. From personal experience the formatting data in itself could
take up to 5 percent or more of disk space.

>How many megs would a CD take up?
That depends on the length of the CD.   the average length of a pop or rock
CD is usually around the 60 minutes mark but that could vary hugely with
live
recordings. The approximate conversion ratio is 1 mb per minute.