Hi Jamie,
Yes that is what I'm saying.
Whatever recording software you are using will use your soundcard for it's
source.
Now, your soundcard has several inputs to choose from.
microphone, line-in etc.
When you are in the properties of the volume control, selecting your
recording devices
when you check the microphone, for instance whatever device was checked
before becomes unchecked.
The Windows volume control, determines what part of the soundcard will be
used for the recording source,
bvased on your selection.
If you have 2 soundcards installed, then you can tell your audio software
which card to use for recording, and which to use for playback.
I believe that the mono-mix, is similar to the, "what you hear", found with
soundblaster cards.
which simply means, whatever you hear on the speakerws is what will be
recorded.
Keep in mind, if you are going to use a microphone, and do not want Jaws to
be in your recording, you will need to use headphones, so that the
microphone will not hear Jaws.
HTH,
R Q J
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jamie Pauls" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'PC audio discussion list. '" <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 2:38 PM
Subject: RE: Need help sorting out a recording issue.


Are you saying that I cannot record Jaws and my microphone at the same time
with only one sound card? That is not how I understand it. Please clarify.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of R Q J
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:44 AM
To: PC audio discussion list.
Subject: Re: Need help sorting out a recording issue.

Hi Jamie,
Exactly what is it you are trying to accomplish?
If you have 1 soundcard, then you can only record from one source at a time.
Are you wanting to record from the mic, or you wanting to record Jaws?
R Q J

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jamie Pauls" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 1:05 AM
Subject: Need help sorting out a recording issue.


I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 computer with an IMAX digital
audio card. This is the integrated audio that comes with the computer. I
decided to make a test recording with Studio Recorder. I went into volume
control, pressed the alt key, and saw that the advanced option was listed
but Jaws reported it as "not available." Next I went into properties, and
selected "adjust for recording." A press of the tab key brought me to a list
of items including CD, microphone, line in, phones, mono out, and stereo
mix. I checked all these items. I selected the appropriate microphone and
unplugged my Logitech Pro 4000 web cam since this microphone seems to stay
active even when I choose another.

After pressing ok in the properties dialog, I came to a series of buttons
including mic, CD, line in, etc. I selected microphone and made my
recording.

When I made my test recording, the mic sounded great. I could just hear my
speech synthesizer in the background; it was barely audible. After some
experimentation, I found that checking either mono out or stereo mix caused
the speech to be recorded just fine, but of course my mic was mute. Choosing
the microphone again caused me to be unable to record the sound of Jaws
coming through my sound card. As was suggested to me by someone, I tried
opening multiple instances of volume control and selecting both the mic and
stereo mix, but the selections were changed in both instances of the volume
control. I tried lowering my microphone volume to possibly match the level
of the speech synthesizer and then normalizing the resulting recording. This
did not work either.

In addition, I also made sure everything in the playback portion of volume
control was unmuted. Is there anything else I can try short of purchasing a
new sound card? If this is necessary, we'll explore that option later.

Thanks.

Jamie Pauls, MT-BC
http://www.accesswatch.info



_______________________________________________
PC-Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
http://www.pc-audio.org

To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


_______________________________________________
PC-Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
http://www.pc-audio.org

To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



_______________________________________________
PC-Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more...
http://www.pc-audio.org

To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


_______________________________________________
PC-Audio List Help, Guidelines, Archives and more... 
http://www.pc-audio.org

To unsubscribe from this list, send a blank email to: 
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to