Go into Winamp and then into file types. Now select winamp not to play asf
files. That is, A. S. F.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Larry N
Sent: September 4, 2005 11:43 PM
To: PC audio discussion list.
Subject: explorer won't permit playing of .pls or .asx files.

Hi.  I'm having trouble opening .asx and .pls files from within Internet
explorer.  The only option that I receive is to save the file to the desktop,
and explorer doesn't want to recommend that because it claims that the file
is either  corrupted or has an incorrect file type. This claim is
questionable, because it prompts me with the same message no matter the
source of either file type. Further, when I "save target as" and open the
stream in question from the desktop, it works just fine. Given the fact that
I like Internet Explorer about as much as some folks in this group like Real
Player, what I would really like to do is switch to a non-Microsoft browser.
However, since WindowEyes and Jaws only work with IE, it would seem that I'm
stuck with it. So, does anyone have any idea of how I might go about getting
IE to stop vetoing .pls and .asx files?

One other thing, I downloaded Winamp 5.1 the other night and the problem
seemed to start right after that. But if Winamp 5.1 were at fault, why would
that affect .asx files which play in Windows Media?  Any thoughts?

Larry