Hi, Kevin:

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:40:30 -0600, you wrote:

>Can you please give some step by step help on having the mp3 tags filled in
>from the file names?

Surely.  I assume we're talking about MP3 Tag Studio here, yes?  If
so, read on.

First thing to do is put all your files on which you want to work in a
directory (single, hierarchy, it doesn't matter).

Second, when you installed MP3 Tag Studio, you should have checked the
box that says integrate into the command menu structure or shell or
whatever it's  called.  That way you will find an option on the File
menu in Windows Explorer for MP3 tag Studio. If so, go into that menu
and use the first item, Edit this directory in MP3 Tag Studio.

If you didn't do this, then you'll just run MP3 Tag Studio by pressing
the Windows key, P for Programs, then M until you hit MP3 Tag Studio
submenu or pulldown. Go into the submenu and find MP3 Tag Studio and
press enter to start it.  Once inside, you must then browse to the
folder where your files are in the usual manner by pressing the Browse
button and navigating to the folder ihn question. Note that, to open a
folder, you have to position your mouse cursor on the foldername and
double-click it.

Third, now that we're inside MP3 Tag Studio with the proper folder
selected, it's time to set up a couple important things.

.  Make sure the "Use advanced options" checkbox is checked.

.  If your files are in several directories under the directory you're
in, make sure the "recurse" or "use subdirectories" checkbox is
checked.

.  There's an additional checkbox to process both ID3 V1 and V2 tags.
If checked, both format tags are written and V2 is used to extract
data for file renames.

Fourth, about in the middle of the screen, three or four tabs down
from the top is a horizontal list of buttons you have to click with
the mouse or mouse function in your screenreader. One of them is
called "Rename files from tags", one is called "Tag files from
filenames".  It is important to understand that these two options are
the opposites of each other.  One will rename your files based on the
tags, one will tag them based on the names. The names must all be in a
certain format, which you specify about two or three lines down.  The
screen says "Field separator sequence", and right across from it on
the right side of the screen is an edit field.  Click anywhere in the
edit field to bring the focus directly to it.

The output format is a series of tokens--special keywords enclosed in
less-than and greater-than signs, which tell MP3TS the format in which
you want the filename built or the format the filename is in to
extract tag information.  Keywords are:

<Tracknr> -- Track number
<Title> -- track title
<Artist> -- Track recording or performance artist
<Album> -- Album name
<Year> -- Year the album was produced.
<Genre> -- Just about anything you want to put in as long as it's only
one word.
<Comment> -- any additional information to be provided
<Trash> -- Characters to be omitted when processing.
<\> -- The backslash between directories in a path.

For instance, an output format specification for tagging MP3 files
from filenames could look like this:

<Artist><\><Album><\><Tracknr> - Title>.mp3

This tells MP3TS when it finds a file to look back up the directory
structure two levels and get the artist field name from that
directory, then the album field from the name of the next directory
down, then the two-digit track number from the string of characters up
to the space dash space, then the title from the remaining set of
characters up to but not including, of course, the .mp3 part of the
filename.

Note you can also make this string by right-clicking on it and
choosing parts of it from the drop-down menu.

Note that you could theoretically use the same output format
specification to rename some files with good tags and put them in a
directory structure just like the one I just described--artist, then
album, then tracks within that album.

Fifth and finally, about the <Trash> keyword, this is useful where you
want MP3TS to ignore strings.  For instance, in albums that span
discs, I break them up into their individual discs into directories
with names like Disc 1, Disc 2, etc. When I want to tag these files, I
use the <Trash> keyword to tell MP3TS to ignore this and drop down to
the next lower level to find the next thing, like this:

<Artist><\><Album><\><Trash><\><Tracknr> <Title>.mp3

would work if I had, say, a directory of albums by Cream, an album of
theirs called Wheels of Fire which is a two-disc album, and a
directory (Disc1, Disc 2) for each of the two discs, then the song
files in each directory.

If you'd like to hear an audio tutorial on this program, Don "DJC"
Coco did one for Main Menu a few years ago.  Go to the ACB Radio
archives and give a search for it if you want more information.

There's lost more that MP3TS can do.  I just told you about what you
wanted to know about, and its mirror operation   Hope it was of
assistance.

HTH