Hello Robert. Thanks for the info. I've done what you suggested and the
headphones do work. I still however can not adjust the volume with the
inline control. I can do it through the control panel but not through the
hardware. Interestinly though, I can put the headset on my wife's machine
and everything works just fine, so there's something just a bit wrong with
my setting etc. I have the headset as the preferred device and all seems
well.

Is there a way to switch between my SB life and the headset easily. I can do
it by changing the settings in the control panel, but is there a shortcut or
some quick way of doing it.

I use my soundcard to drive an fm transmittor which I use constantly, but
would like to use the headset when I'm at the computer. By the way, the
microphone mute switch on the headset cord seems to work fine.

Any help you might give will be very much appreciated.

Charlie