Too many questions for one post.  The way to stop start window eyes manually
rather than automatically is to go to the control panel with
control-backslash
alt-f for files
r for run window eyes at
and arrow up to off or manually, I think thatis the first choice.  You will
need the control-alt-w to start window eyes from then on.  If you want this
combination freed for word, you will need to define another window eyes
start up key.
As for reading continuously, the standard keys for this are control-shift-r.
This can be changed in the hotkeys settings.  Many people change this to the
scrool lock key.
If changes you make aren't sticking, it is likely you have not saved the set
file after you made the changes in verbosity.  That should serve as a start.
RD