From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Rick Alfaro
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:48 PM
To: 'PC audio discussion list. '
Subject: RE: Accessible flash mp3 players

Hello Kiran.

What are you planning to use this mp3 player for?  Is it strictly for
listening to music, or do you also plan to use it for spoken word material
like audio books?  Also, do you care much about the size of the unit?  If
size is not an issue, a great choice would be one of the hard disk based
units either an older Archos unit, or an Iriver with RockBox on it.  You can
install RockBox yourself as long as it is a supported device, and this will
give you talking menus, and talking folder and file navigation.

If you are looking for something slightly smaller, a BookPort would be a
good choice.  They are expensive at $400, but well worth the price as they
have a built-in speech synthesizer, so the device handles text as well as
mp3, and Audible and the unit is designed for someone blind so everything on
it talks.  This device uses a DoubleTalk speech chip.

If you want something really small, you will have to deal with the menus for
some things, but certainly doable.  From what I have read, folks seem to be
having fairly good luck with some of the Sandisk models that come in either
512mb or 1gb configurations.  Another one that seems to be ok is the
Creative Muvo although you have to check and see if it comes in a 1gb model.
I know there is a 512mb, but not sure about 1gb.

I personally have a BookPort and an Archos JukeBox Recorder with RockBox on
it.  I also have an Ipod Shuffle which I stopped using because it is more
trouble than its worth thanks to Itunes.  I don't recommend the Shuffle at
all as I think there are better choices.

--Best regards,

--Rick Alfaro