Is that a Soundmax AD-1980 codec? If so, then I bet what's actually
happening is the card isn't muting, it's just dropping by about -36 DB
or so. If it's anything like one of the computers I have here, you can
still tell there's something there if you crank your speakers up by a
lot, but really that's about it.
The AD-1980 is pretty bad about this, although most other sound max
cards I've seen don't do that.
I generally don't like sound max much anyway.