Realtech is by my unerstanding a cgipset not a card onto itrelf. As such the
board manufactorer can use it in a number of ways. I havent seen it used in
such a high end interface.

-- original message --
Subject:        realtek sound card
From:   "Rachel D Keyte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:           August 06th 2006 10:42 am

        Hi all,
Please bear with me here. I am not technical!
  I just bought a new pentium4 computer and it has onboard a realtek
sound card.  I'd never heard of this before, and don't know much about it.
  I just wondered if anyone else has one of these and could get back
to me?  The volume control works differently to what I'm use too, eg.
(when ajusting playback, in properties, you click on "ajust volume
for "realtek HD audio output" and for recording, there is " realtek
HD digital input" or just "realtek HD input" and they're the three
mixing devices in volume control. When I click on the plain HD input
thing, I get "recording volume", then all these other checkboxes for
Mic, vidio, CD, line in, etc (which can all be selected together or
not), but no actual individual volumes for any of them. all I get is
"mute" checkboxes.
However, when I go to ajust the "realtek digital input" I just get an
option for "spdif" which i have no idea what that is. and jaws
doesn't speak at all in this single control unless I go into jaws
cursor. I only then have the option to mute or unmute it.
(these are the only options I get even when I go to select the
options I want to show up in those mixer devices).
The playback (or "realtek output" does actually have individual
volume controls but no mic option (like I'm use too).
  This card has surround sound capabilities, but I have got a new 2.5
(I think it's referred to as) system.
When I unplug and plug in jacks, an information message tells me this
and then I have to select which device I just plugged in (whether it
be headphones, microphone,) etc.  How come it does this? Can I
possibly turn this off and have it automatically detect them?
Sorry all for the ramble. I'm just not use to this and I want to go
back to being simple! Lol
Oh I did try and research this on the net but didn't find out much.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Cheers! :)