The whole thing is ridiculous. How many different-standard media
players do we need in one marketplace?  This is what nearly killed
compact discs when they first came out lo these almost 25 years
ago--two competing formats, one of whom had the good sense to just go
away.

The problem we all have to understand here is, it's not like it was
when we were growing up, where you had essentially a hardcopy of
copyrighted material--print, recorded, stamped on a piece of plastic,
etc.--and over time that copy could degrade and you'd need to replace
it. Furthermore, if anybody wanted a copy of their own, the rendering
they could get from you wouldn't be nearly as good as that which they
would get were they to buy their own copy from the mass producer
thereof.

Of course, for printed material, it's more about the intellectual
property than the performance, which is why you'll notice that not
nearly as big a deal is made about copying printed matter as it is
recorded performances.

The entertainment indsutry has got to come up with ways in which, to a
certain extent, backups can be made of performances purchased to play
on a particular device and none other.  How many times have I seen in
this very forum discussions about IPod owners who bring their machines
in for service, and get wiped ones in return?  And what became of
everything they paid for and had stored on them?  They lost it, unless
they kept a backup of it on their local computer, which lots of folks
just don't do.

So, we gotta change the culture and change the two communities--the
consumers and the purveyors--to make it fair for everyone.

Can you imagine in the future--way way in the future--where things
like IPods and IRiver and Archos gadgets are being bought and sold at
auction because they contain the only known copy of an old record from
the early 2000's, and all they can do is play it, it cannot be
extracted?  That, of course, is the digital analog to buying old
records at tag sales!